Saturday, November 29, 2008

Reading (in French!)

I just finished reading the book pictured here for my French class and I'd have to give it four stars. It's a sweet novel, full of love for the French language specifically, but with reverence for words and writers that goes beyond borders. The story concerns a little girl, Jeanne, and her brother, Thomas, who are shipwrecked on a tropical island where things are a bit fantastic in all senses of the word. It reminded me a bit of The Phantom Tollbooth by Jules Feifer in that there is a story simple enough for children but lots of nuances for adults, particularly those who are literary minded. The vocabulary was a bit tough going for me (more far-reaching than the newspaper, for example) but the rest was well within my grasp.

1 comment:

Starman said...

It reminds me of Blue Lagoon from several years back.

Related Posts with Thumbnails