Sunday, December 21, 2008

Gift Wrap

Sometimes the differences in French and American ways of doing things just seem to pop out of nowhere and bite you where it counts. I really was not prepared for the fact that it is virtually impossible to purchase an empty gift box anywhere in Paris. (I am hedging a bit here because although I am worn out from tromping all over town following false leads, I'm quite confident that some savvy reader is going to set me straight. Quite frankly, I hope they do. It won't help me at the moment but I'll take the tip for later.)

Why? Because when you buy anything in a nice shop in Paris, the clerk pretty much always asks if it is for a gift. If you say yes, he or she will then pull out the tissue, the special stickers, the gift bag, the ribbon, and that little something you just bought suddenly becomes a work of art. If you say no, you'd better not be thinking "I'll just wrap it myself," because gift wrapping supplies are either a) low quality, b) extremely expensive, c) boring or d) all of the above.

All this is just to say, if you get a present from me wrapped in a plastic bag from Monoprix, my apologies. Next time I'll know better.

6 comments:

Starman said...

I'm not even sure you can have it done at the department stores unless you bought it there. I'll have to check that out one day.

Anonymous said...

Monoprix has nice gift wrap paper. Just ask for some at the Accueil whenever you shop for non-perishable items.

During the holidays Carrefour usually sets up gift wrapping brigades. They also have rolls of paper ready to hand out to those who prefer to wrap their presents neatly. Getting in line might be the biggest problem.

Starman said...

One thing that is never a problem in Paris, is getting in line.

Anonymous said...

Your observations are exactly why I take gift wrap with me to Paris to supply a friend who can't find anywhere near the wide array we have available. She also loves the gift bags, which are very easy to pack. You should have seen her eyes light up when I brought that wire garland with me. She had not seen any since being in NYC years ago.

Starman said...

Joyeux Noël

Anonymous said...

BHV carries all kinds of wonderful gift wrapping packaging - keep it in mind for next time...

Related Posts with Thumbnails