Wednesday, February 11, 2009

25 Things I Love About Paris: #8


8. Smart Cars

I can't help it. They're just so darn cute, especially the ones with the advertising. Of the four here, my favorite is the one promoting the SNCF's travel services because the women in her bikini is perfectly proportioned and positioned to be driving that car. (Okay, so she's lost her head...details, details.) Someone told me that you can get one of these ad-enrobed cars for virtually nothing although you have to agree to drive it a certain number of kilometers per week. I don't know if that's true or not.

There are plenty of plain vanilla Smart Cars on the streets here as well although they're not so photogenic. Since parallel parking seems to be a full contact sport here (bam in the front, back up, smack in the back, sound of glass shattering), Smart Cars also seem eminently practical. Lined up perpendicular to the curb, three of them can park in the same space as one traditionally sized truck. More confirmation that good things come in small packages.

6 comments:

The Good Life in Virginia said...

i think they are fab...always amazes me when i am in rome just how darn cute they are and oh so practical and economical :)
have a great day.

Evelyn said...

I have one on order that should arrive this spring! I fell in love with them on a trip to Paris; we'll see how practical they are here in Iowa. I've actually seen a few in Des Moines and also on the Interstate as I drive into work.

Starman said...

I ordered mine in November. The waiting list is 14 months unless one comes in and the buyer no longer wants it. You then have the option of taking that one.

I read somewhere, that the companies pay between €300 and €700 per month to advertise on your car.

Starman said...

Oh...the cars exported to the US are seven inches longer and have a larger engine.

Anonymous said...

I too love the Smart car and indeed drive one, mine is the roadster coupe. I see quite a few of the standard ones here in yorkshire, estate agents like them because they can advertise the business and are really easy to park in a city.

Anonymous said...

You aren't alone in your fascination of these cuties. EVERY single person who has come back from Europe or Great Britain and has shown me their photos has snapped up photos of these!

Related Posts with Thumbnails