Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving Thanks



The French word for cranberries is "canneberges" but you're just as likely to see the English term. These dried berries, the perfect addition to a salad or oatmeal, are available in our corner store as well as in bulk at some of the open air markets. The fresh version is much harder to find and sold only in teeny tiny cardboard boxes ("barquettes") for an astounding price. I must thank Polly and Katie for supplying me with the fresh cranberries that will grace our table this Thanksgiving, although our feast will be on Saturday instead of today.

I'm also giving thanks today for my husband who was brave enough to apply for a job which was a bit out of his comfort zone and who is a wonderful partner in everything from making major life decisions to cleaning the bathtub. I am grateful for my two kids who are so very different from each other; for my siblings who, among other things, keep me connected to my parents, now gone; for my brothers and sisters-in-law who take such good care of their mom, and for my many good friends. We're in good health, financially secure, and living in Paris. Amen.

9 comments:

Ksam said...

Actually "Canneberge" is the French-Canadian term. Most French people have no clue what canneberge is and just know them as cranberries (if they know them at all)!

David in Setouchi said...

Yeah, "canneberge" is québécois.
In France's French it's "airelle" but as it's not really used in French cuisine, the word "cranberry" is used by people that eat them. ;-)

Anne said...

Thanks Ksam and Gator. I had an inkling that it was of Canadian origin but couldn't get confirmation. Now we have it!

debbie in toronto said...

oh those canadians...we had our thanksgiving a month ago ate our canneberge then...frankly I can do without them...too much like jam with your meat....:)

Gabriel said...

yeap, thanksgiving day is a special day. it teaches us to learn to appreciate what's around us. thank God for everything. :)

Starman said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Duchesse said...

Happy Thanksgiving Anne!:) Hope the coming year will be filled to the brim with other happy experiences:)

Duchesse said...

In Québec, we also use "atocas" for "canneberges". It's a native term apparently:)

A Year of Change said...

Just found your blog and have been reading older posts. Love it. We are a family of four at the beginning stages of an expat life. We leave Dec. 28th for a couple of years. I love your sense of humor and hope that I can maintain mine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails