Saturday, June 19, 2010

Abandoned

Despite genuine World Cup fever here in Paris, I've been following it only half heartedly. I check the scores and watch the highlights but somehow I haven't managed to get myself in front of a TV set to watch anything from start to finish.

And don't get me wrong, it's not soccer that's the problem. I actually played the game from the age of 10 straight through my junior year in college. I was a youth soccer referee and played on club teams that went to the Southeastern regional championships several years running.

It's just that, well, it's kind of hard to have skin in the game if your team doesn't have a prayer. And that seems to be the case for both the U.S. and France. And what could be more symbolic of France's recent drubbing by Mexico? My eagle-eyed friend Carol (the one whose early morning walks were responsible for this post) passed along this photo snapped with her cell phone late on Thursday evening.



Not sure what that might be? Take a closer look.




Oh French fans. Fickle or just forgetful?

3 comments:

Starman said...

I think maybe someone lost it without knowing.

Unknown said...

Not so sure....

I've heard that the streets of London are awash with England scarves right now!

What you mustn't forget is that football isn't a matter of life and death.....

It's far more important than that!

All the best

Keith

Cécile Qd9 said...

I love the conclusion of Keith's comment !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails