Wednesday, March 2, 2011

This and That

An unopened jar of tamarind paste bought for some recipe, which one I no longer remember.  Half finished bottles of orange flower water and pomegranate molasses.  Three cans of sardines that I purchased mistakenly assuming they were anchovies.  Half a package of gelatin sheets.  A box of tapioca and a can of bamboo shoots left to me by departing expats.

What does this stuff have in common?  Well, it's all sitting in my kitchen cabinets or in the door of my refrigerator, and I've got about four months to use it up or toss it.  And I'm too much my mother's daughter (and she was a child of the Depression) to not wince at the thought of wasting good food.

The reality of our departure is becoming more vivid as the days pass. I'd thought about putting a countdown ticker here on my blog but happily as our exact date is not yet set, there's no point in having a depressing daily reminder of it.  In fact, I'm not sad (not yet),  just busy, both trying to take advantage of what Paris has to offer and to take care of all the practical details.  So if you have a good recipe that uses any or all of the above, send it my way.  We may be doing some pretty strange eating around here but at least we'll still be doing it in Paris.

10 comments:

Duchesse said...

Only 4 months left?! NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Couldn't you make a casserole with the sardines?

Or a sardine aspic (with the gelatin!) with bamboo shoots?;)

Elizabeth said...

Such a bummer to know the adventure is coming to an end...

debbie in toronto said...

oh Anne....now I'm going to be sad ...4 months left....

maybe you could get the job at Dior...I here one is available.

Harriet said...

Oh my, hearing you have only about 4 months left in Paris made my heart skip a beat. I can feel the energy surge of wanting to see everything 'one last time' and wanting to explore new places yet to be seen.

I hope you have lots of photos tucked away so that you can continue this blog even after you return to the US!

Anonymous said...

The only thing I've ever made with tamarind is a Thai-flavored fish that went over very well. I mixed tamarind paste with ginger, green onions, and fish sauce and smeared it on fish fillets before baking them in banana leaves. (Foil would work too.) You could serve it with stir-fried bamboo shoots and rice, and make coconut tapioca pudding for dessert!

Anne said...

Thanks to all for the supportive words but I'm not dead yet.

Camille: Thanks for the ideas. I guess it pays to ask the professionals.

Starman said...

I'm sure one of your friends would welcome the tins of sardines.

Mary Kay said...

Having just moved from Switzerland to Paris last Saturday, your dining dilemma is reminiscent of the interesting meals that we’ve been eating during the past few weeks. Thank goodness that Darty delivered our refrigerator on Tuesday and that we're currently in the re-stocking phase.

Your blog is just what I needed to stay sane during my first days in Paris. Thanks!

As for your tamarind paste, you could use about 3T to make Lamb Vindaloo. The sardines would be tasty with salad or a baguette. Plus, they’re a great source of Omega-3.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I just read one comment .. Moving from Switzerland to Paris .. what a great move.

So sorry to read that your time in Paris is coming to an end .. so sad.

I have a lovely friend that lives in the 14th arrondissement and her stay in Paris is nearly up too.. she and hubby have to go back to the States in June .. She has been here 4 years too.. and she is soooooooo sad .. ♥ Paris..

Ann said...

Oscar Wilde said, "When good Americans die, they go to Paris." I'm thankful that I got here a little early, and I bet you are too. I've always felt that leaving Paris is part of the American experience, adding a bittersweet note to all the other beautiful memories.

Related Posts with Thumbnails